Catch-up (Pt. 4 of 4)

For iOS development, it used to be you had to learn Objective-C. If you've never coded in the more traditional C languages, Obj-C looks like an absolutely horrendous syntactical mess. It's littered with characters that have absolutely no intuitive justification, and the fact that it's a hybrid language doesn't help the messiness. Obj-C, like C++, is a PPL that was modified over time to include aspects of OOP. I've never liked languages like this, as they tend to resemble a garbled, messy mixture of two fundamentally different things, somehow co-existing. But, maybe I'm a little biased, having learned object-oriented programming by coding in purely object-oriented languages (my favorite's C#, in case you were wondering). I digress, you no longer have to learn Obj-C to develop for iOS/macOS. Now there's a magical language developed by Apple called Swift, that doesn't look extremely messy and includes some pretty neat features. To me, Swift looks like Ruby, Python, and C all got together and made a baby, with the sometimes-present uncle BASIC hopping in and teaching the little tike some things while he grew up.
In addition to learning Swift (which I'm hoping won't take long), I just have to learn the development environment of Xcode. So far, though, that doesn't seem too hard. In fact, I think I prefer it to Android Studio as it stands, but we'll see if that changes. Xcode just seems to have more in the user interface for the developer instead of relying on the dev to go directly into an XML file to change settings and such.

With that, you're all caught up on my latest adventures. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Example App is Coming Along

Integration Complete, Videos Next

App Nearly Complete--Tutorials?