Catch-up (Pt. 3 of 4): An Aside on Developing for Apple

I know this post was supposed to be about the tools I need to learn for iOS development, but I'm going to rant a little instead.
I've developed for iOS before, but in a slightly indirect way. When you say that you've developed for iOS before to an experienced developer, the first thing that comes to their mind is Xcode. However, I developed in Unity. Unity then compiles the project into an Xcode project, and then I just have to build my project through there. None of the actual development process needed to be done in Xcode.
Just from that experience, I didn't like Xcode, and I certainly didn't like developing for Apple. First of all, you must have a computer running MacOS to use Xcode, and Apple only allows project built with Xcode to be run on their devices. So, there's money-grab #1. On top of that, to publish to the App Store, you have to purchase a license that you have to renew every year. The cost of the license? $100. It may not seem like a lot to an established developer, but as an indie developer, all I see when I look at developing for Apple is a half-bitten piece of fruit pummeling the indie developer, making his/her life as difficult as possible.

Anyway, with that digression, the next post will be on the tools I'll need to learn for iOS development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Example App is Coming Along

App Nearly Complete--Tutorials?

Integration Complete, Videos Next